One of my clients recently bought a home and had me install a few shelves in the laundry room. When I moved the dryer out of the way, I spotted this:
That bent silver hose is the duct that allows the lint to escape from the dryer. Lint is extremely flammable, and if it built up in the kinks of the duct, it would be a fire hazard waiting to happen. Fortunately there was no lint build-up yet, and it was easy to replace the kinked duct with a shorter, straighter duct.
Washing machines and dryers cause about 1 in 22 home fires, with most of the fires coming from the dryer, so it's worthwhile to pay attention to your appliances. Most of the fires are caused by a failure to keep the dryer and vent clean.
Here are a few things you can do to make your dryer safe:
While you're at it, take a look at how the machine was originally installed and make sure it was done right. Here are a few pointers:
What Our Clients Are Saying
"Arthur is that rare professional handyman who is totally reliable; fairly priced; pro-active in communications; honest; punctual; skilled -- and a really nice guy."
"Arthur is a great resource to have here in our area. He's prompt, professional, does great work and is cost effective. I'll definitely use him again!"
Get In Touch
Call, Text or Email:
Mars Hill and Weaverville
Arden and Fletcher
Proud to be a certified member of the Association of Certified Handyman Professionals, a non-profit organization which works to improve the marketplace by promoting a high standard of ethics, skills and customer service for handymen nationwide.